Art

Head of Art: Mr R Cast

 

Lower School

Outline of Subject

The course covers Art, Craft and Design and gives students the opportunity to explore visual and tactile media; with a focus on achievement, enjoyment, experimentation and quality of finish. Traditional disciplines such as drawing, painting and sculpture are covered during the course, as well as digital art and photography. Projects ranging from expressive painting, ceramics or digital illustration are designed to engage and inspire students throughout the lower school.

Skill Development

In Year 7, students experience a number of shorter projects to build confidence and understanding while using a variety of media and techniques. In Year 8 students encounter lino cutting, portrait drawing, ceramic mug making, and build up a mixed media low relief. In Year 9, students are on a carousel to work on more focussed projects in each of the specialist art rooms.  The assignments in Year 9 (digital illustration, a 3D project based on architecture and expressive portraits) are designed to run as GCSE styled projects, to stretch and prepare students for Year 10.

Assessment Styles

Key pieces of classwork and the final outcomes of each project, are graded with the 1 – 9 marking scheme together with written targets where necessary.  Verbal feedback is a constant throughout the lessons, and students are given the opportunity to assess their own work and that of their peers to help them further understand lesson objectives and the marking process.

Additional Information

An Art Club runs in the later part of the year, though students are very welcome to visit the Art Department when they can, and are free to use the materials and equipment for any self-led project they may have planned; or if they want to extend their classroom learning.

Upper School

Art & Design

Exam Board: AQA Art and Design

Outline of Subject

GCSE Art and Design provides students with a broad range of opportunities to explore, experiment and develop their artistic skills in a way that will enable them to progress creatively through learning and doing, to develop imaginative and intuitive ways of working and develop knowledge and understanding of media, materials and technologies. There are three disciplines to choose from: 3D, Fine Art and Digital Illustration.

Learning Content

Skill Development

Through the projects they are asked to undertake, students are introduced to a variety of experiences, employing a wide range of media, processes and techniques. Knowledge and understanding of art, craft and design should be established through research, observations and making activities. Skills are developed via the planning of ideas, then producing, modifying and refining the outcomes.

Assessment Styles

This specification has two elements which are assessed separately. The portfolio (the main body of work) which includes both Yr.10 projects and the trial exam in Yr.11 is worth 60% of the total GCSE grade. The exam is assessed for the remaining 40%. Assessment is based on the following four objectives: Research, Development, Observations and Final Outcome. It is a strong foundation for further progression to Art and Design related courses such as A-level Art and Design and enhanced vocational and career.

Additional Information

Home learning is likely to involve completing existing work, research and mounting work for submission. The Department provides all materials necessary for the implementation of this course and any support after school when necessary.

© 2015 by Thornden School.